AWS Certification - Amazon Web Services
Have you heard of Amazon Web Services? AWS is the biggest name in the digital cloud provider field and is a hugely powerful platform. By using its services to its maximum potential it’s possible to level up the performance of your web based applications and business as a whole.
If you’d like to learn more about AWS and the certifications they offer, this article will cover some of the core areas. So read on below to find out more.
But before we begin, let’s cover some of the key definitions.
What is Amazon Web Services?
Amazon Web Services is a hugely successful part of Amazon’s business. The business model is based around providing cloud platform services to businesses, organisations, and individuals. It is actually one of the leading profit drivers for Amazon, and in 2020 AWS became a $10 billion dollar business. This success has come from controlling over a third of the cloud market. This is close to twice as large as their nearest competitor.
AWS is actually made up of a lot of different products and services. Some of the key services include servers, storage, networking, remote computing, email, mobile development, and security. These can be grouped into three main products on offer. The first of these is EC2, this service concentrates on providing virtual machines. The second is Glacier, this service provides cloud storage at a low cost. The third is S3, which is Amazon’s storage system. AWS has servers all over the world, in 76 availability zones. In total, this covers 245 countries.
What is AWS Certification?
The cloud has almost become an essential element for all businesses to get competent with. So many systems are based on it, or utilise a particular element of the cloud, that if an organisation is not making use of the cloud effectively, they will be losing an edge on competition.
Businesses and companies need employees who can make optimal use of the cloud to keep them performing at their best for years to come. AWS Certifications are about providing training and proof of competency in key areas of cloud skills.
Training comes in both digital and classroom formats usually. Although with the current coronavirus pandemic, all training is virtual.
Why is getting an AWS Certification beneficial?
For IT professionals, AWS certification proves that they are competent with skills that are in high demand. This means that they can command a higher wage for their services. It also means that collaborating with colleagues who are also certified is easier because everyone is working to the same industry standards.
For businesses, certification is great because they understand exactly what some of the skills a potential employee has. They know that they are capable of completing the tasks required of them and have been taught by the industry leader.
What Certifications are available?
There are 4 levels to AWS certifications, with multiple pathways between most levels:
- Foundational Certification
- This is a six month fundamentals class that results in an AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner qualification.
- Associate Certifications
- These certifications are aimed at people with one year’s experience within the AWS ecosystem. There are three pathways to choose from at this level.
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate
- AWS Certified Developer - Associate
- AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate
- Professional Certifications
- This level of certification requires people to have two years experience working within the AWS cloud environment. There are two pathways to this level.
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional
- AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional
- Speciality Certification
- Once a professional has reached a certain level of skill within the AWS ecosystem, there is the option to specialise their skills further. This takes the form in 6 specialist certifications.
- AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty
- AWS Certified Data Analytics - Specialty
- AWS Certified Security - Specialty
- AWS Certified Machine Learning - Specialty
- AWS Certified Alexa Skill Builder - Specialty
- AWS Certified Database - Specialty
Amazon Web Services is the leading cloud provider in the market - by a long way. The year on year strengths aren’t predicted to slow down any time in the future either. By gaining certification of competency within the AWS ecosystem, IT professionals are showcasing their skills within one of the most widely used technical systems. This is hugely beneficial for both IT professionals and organisations and can lead to personal growth for the certified practitioners and business growth for organisations.
UpWork: Find your freelancer? Is it that easy?
The list of services on offer by professionals is extremely impressive. From administrators, to software developers, designers, marketing agencies, copywriters, data inputters, translators, and customer support reps. The list goes on and on. The one common denominator is that all of the work has to be pitched, reviewed, and completed via the internet. This means the nature of most tasks is computer based.
The coronavirus has disrupted supply chains and demand across the global economy, but it is the prospect of Europe becoming a casualty in the U.S.-China tech war that keeps the president of the European Chamber in China "awake at night".