We all have a right to privacy. Yet despite this, there is a level of autonominity that internet users once had, that is now gone. Through tracking analytics and cookies, as well as other forms of technology, people’s internet usage can be followed quite precisely - scarily precise in some cases.
To counteract this, there are measures an internet user can take to securely protect themselves and their internet usage from people trying to look in on their activities. One of the best defences that a person can use is a VPN service. There are a lot of VPN providers out there, some a lot better than others. Because of this it is important to do careful research and find a respected provider that matches what you need.
This article will discuss ExpressVPN and what features a user will receive if using their service.
What is a VPN?
Before we begin, it might be helpful to properly define what a VPN is for anyone who might be wondering. VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. The software was originally conceived as a way for business networks to securely connect over the internet and allow users safe access to a business’s system if working remotely.
Still on this premise, a VPN lets a user create a safe connection through the internet, but people all over the world use them for other reasons than business, mainly revolving around security and privacy, which will be discussed later in the article.
How does a VPN work?
On its most basic level, a VPN links a person’s computer, or device connected to the internet, to a server located in another geographical location. If the server is based in the US, for example, it will appear that the user is also based in the US, even if the user is not.
When a person searches the internet while using a VPN, a website that is visited is contacted through the encrypted VPN, which acts as an intermediary between the user and the website and prevents the website from having access to a user’s information.
Why should I use a VPN?
There’s a lot of applications for using a VPN, but the most popular reasons are for increased security and privacy, as well as unlocking restrictions that websites place on users from certain geographical locations.
Here’s a list of some of the most common VPN usages:
- Joining a business network whilst working remotely
- Entering a personal home network while travelling
- Mask browsing activity from a local network and ISP
- Access Geographically Restricted Websites
- Remove Censored Content
- Download Files
ExpressVPN is one of the best VPNs on the market. Every person might have a slightly different requirement for their VPN, so it’s important to do careful research around what a VPN provider can offer you. That being said, ExpressVPN covers a lot of the most vital services very well. Below we’ll go into more detail.
- Smart Location
- Utilising the Smart Location Feature lets the user connect to a server with an easy couple clicks of a button. With its location recommendations, it also connects a user to a server that will provide optimal performance. This is based on latency, speed, and distance.
- A lot of VPN providers will claim that a user is protected even if they lose their connection. ExpressVPN also makes these assertions.
- The encryption used is highly sophisticated and secure, meaning that a user’s information and internet usage is virtually impossible to decrypt.
- ExpressVPN offers servers in 94 countries, at 160 locations. A user has a choice to access each of these server points.
There are three forms of subscription to the ExpressVPN service:
- Monthly rolling subscription for £10.90 per month
- 6 Month subscription for £8.41 per month
- 12 month subscription for £10.90 per month
- At the time of writing there is also a 35% discount on this, making the amount £7 a month.
All costs will be charged in USD.
ExpressVPN is one of the better known VPNs in the industry, that’s because it offers a service which aims to be in the upper echelons of the market. Because of this, a user will have to pay an above access price for the services on offer. But for those looking for a quality VPN that will ensure their safety and privacy, then ExpressVPN is a great place to start their search.
Nintendo Switch Review: Is the Console Back in the Game?
The Nintendo Switch is a unique gaming device that wants to do it all. Advertised as a “hybrid” game console, the Switch can be used as a portable, handheld device like the Nintendo 3DS, but also as a console like the PS4 or Xbox One.
UpWork: Find your freelancer? Is it that easy?
The list of services on offer by professionals is extremely impressive. From administrators, to software developers, designers, marketing agencies, copywriters, data inputters, translators, and customer support reps. The list goes on and on. The one common denominator is that all of the work has to be pitched, reviewed, and completed via the internet. This means the nature of most tasks is computer based.
Regardless of who hosts your websites, Cloudflare’s worldwide network of over 150 data centers can greatly enhance your page or application loading times, not to mention protect you and your clients. It’s not your average content delivery network (CDN) that needs advanced optimization – you just change your nameservers to use Cloudflare and the service does everything for you.