Shopify and Dropshipping is it not over?
Since the internet has revolutionised our lives, people have been finding innovative ways to start businesses and make money online. This article is not about getting rich quick schemes or offering any secret miracle to making money, it is discussing dropshipping and whether it is still a successful path to follow in 2020.
What is dropshipping?
Dropshipping is a way that shops fulfill their purchases. Essentially, they don’t stock their products in the store or at a warehouse. Their inventory is bought from a third party who sends the purchase straight to the customer. This means that the seller never physically possesses the product. A wholesaler or producer fulfills the orders on behalf of the vendor.
Becoming a seller is easy, becoming a success takes a bit more work
How to become a seller
When physical inventory is removed from the process, the logistics of an ecommerce store become a lot easier. However, there are still some important steps to follow.
- Have an idea for what you’d like to sell
- What niche you decide to sell in will have a big impact on your success. Make sure it’s one you are passionate about, but also can create a profit.
- Find competitors
- What do they do well? What can you do better?
- Find a supplier
- Create a shortlist of products and suppliers you’d like to work with. Place a sample order and compare the service and products they supply.
- Create an online store
- This is the face of your business and what will be converting the customers, so make sure you put time in to getting it right.
Alternatively, there are dropshipping businesses for sale online where a lot of the setup has been done already. The more profitable they are, the more you’ll have to pay. Make sure to do your research fully before buying anything.
How to become a success
For many sellers, they think that as soon as they go online, that is the end of the job and the hard work is done. If they want to make money from their store, there is still a huge amount of work to be completed.
- Start marketing
- This is how you’ll get your business out to customers. If people don’t know about you, how will they buy from you? Marketing channels to look into are: social media, seo, paid search, influencer, email, and content.
- Learn, refine, optimize, and improve
- What strategies are working best? What products sell better than others? Are there particular times of the year where sales slow down?
What margins can you expect?
This will vary quite dramatically depending on the niche you decide to work in, your relationship with manufacturers, the quality of the products and your target customers. As a rough guide, aim for a profit margin between 20 and 30 %.
There is a lot of content on the internet saying that dropshipping is now no longer a viable online business option. While the difficulty may have risen in recent years, there is still room for more businesses to find their place within markets.
What are the best platforms for dropshipping?
- Shopify is a powerhouse within the industry and is the CMS for almost 600,000 ecommerce retailers around the world. There is a monthly fee to use the platform which begins at $29 and there can be additional purchases needed, especially if you don’t want to use one of the free themes.
- Another leading brand in the market, magento has a highly sophisticated model. There are different variations of the platform to use, depending on your technical knowledge. There is a free option, but you have to have strong technical skills to make it work.
- A great option if you are looking for a simple, easy to use platform. It has less features compared to Magento and shopify, but this makes it more user friendly for beginners. As your experience grows, this can start to hinder your plans as there is limited flexibility for stores and developers to customise.
Turning something you love into a business is a dream of people around the world. Dropshipping has helped a lot of individuals realise this ambition and if that’s what you want, you should pursue it. But before you dive in and spend all your savings, it’s important to do a lot of thorough research to ensure your new business will be a success.
While margins have become tighter in recent years, there’s still plenty of room for entrepreneurs who are willing to work hard.
200 billion yuan ($28 billion) will be invested by Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. into the development of their cloud infrastructure. This will take place over a three year period in an attempt to push its services further into more countries and markets
Southeast Asian ride-hailing and payments company Grab said it had put a partnership with scandal-hit Wirecard <WDIG.DE> on hold, days after the German payments firm disclosed a $2.1 billion financial hole that threatens its future.
MasterClass and Udemy: Are They Worth It?
Education doesn’t have to take place in schools or universities. Don’t get me wrong, formal education and degrees are important. Yet, many successful professionals admit that true skill takes time, requires practice (lots of it… and then some), and will often occur in environments not designed for instruction to begin with.